Plan a ride
- Year 5
- Year 6
Using the VicRoads walking and cycling maps (https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/traffic-and-road-use/cycling/bicycle-route-maps), Google Maps (www.google.com.au/maps), Google Earth (earth.google.com), have students identify places in their local area that are safe and enjoyable to ride (e.g. parklands, bike paths, trails, quiet streets). Students should also consider where riding might be difficult or unsafe (e.g. places where paths cross roads, steep hills, bike paths that suddenly end, lack of bike parking, busy paths with others walking and riding).
Have students use this information to plan a group ride in their area. Students should consider:
- distance and time required
- safest route
- equipment required
- skills required.
Combine students’ plans to formulate a route that the whole class will use.
- What did you consider when choosing a safe route?
- What did you look for to improve the safety of your trip?
- Were there any particularly dangerous or tricky sections on your route?
- What skills and knowledge are required to navigate your chosen route?
Information for teachers
When taking students on a group ride, make sure that Department of Education and Training guidelines for cycling excursions are followed.