Organisations that promote walking and pedestrian safety
- Health & Physical Education
- Year 3
- Year 4
- Year 5
- Year 6
Have students do online research into two Australian organisations that encourage walking and acknowledge pedestrian safety.
Direct students to find:
- Details of the organisation, such as membership, aims and objectives
- Specific issues being addressed by the organisation
- Overview of the strategies used, such as education or special events
- Evidence of success.
As a class, compare the strategies used by the different organisations.
- What are the similarities and differences between the organisations?
- What strategies do each organisation use to promote safe walking?
- What suggestions can you make to promote safe walking?
Information for teachers
Read an increasing range of imaginative, informative and persuasive texts by combining phonic, semantic, contextual and grammatical knowledge, using text processing strategies, including confirming, rereading and cross-checking (VCELY256)
Read different types of texts for specific purposes by combining phonic, semantic, contextual and grammatical knowledge using text processing strategies, including monitoring meaning, skimming, scanning and reviewing (VCELY287)
Navigate and read imaginative, informative and persuasive texts by interpreting structural features, including tables of content, glossaries, chapters, headings and subheadings and applying appropriate text processing strategies, including monitoring meaning, skimming and scanning (VCELY318)
Select, navigate and read increasingly complex texts for a range of purposes, applying appropriate text processing strategies to recall information and consolidate meaning (VCELY346)